thread

Dispute: Patrick Maher - Arcade - Marvel VS Capcom - Points [Tournament Settings] - Player: Adam Stombaugh - Score: 2120509

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
    This poll is closed
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,863
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: snowflaketg
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I normally have a big issue with "spirit of the game" rules as whos to say whats the right way to play. I however have no problem getting past grammatical errors, spelling errors, or any other error where its very clear what the author of the track meant.

also, if we really want to discuss semantics, the other players who joined in had to use a credit, therefore multiple credits would've been used, the credit of the player and credit of the other player. both credits were needed if we're to view this as a 2 player game, but stating it as one credit makes two players impossible.

its a nice point, and i think future tracks should be created with better wording, but i'm still gonna say the score needs to go.
    Thanks YesAffinity thanked this post
    Likes EVN, YesAffinity liked this post
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,238
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    View Channel: yesaffinity
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    61 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    In addition to the scores, the uploaded screenshot for this track also needs to be disputed. That's an MvC2 screenshot....
    Matthew 21:22

Street Fighter (15th) Anniversary Collection: Hyper Street Fighter II World Champion (PS2)

My current collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKzvF3dRPsw
    Likes HAN liked this post
  3. VERIFIED Honored Veteran Credibility: 27,295

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: barthax
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    48 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Just to throw another anomaly in there: the rules have been written in Kelly Flewin's style and Kelly wasn't a referee until after this score was achieved. The Morrow brothers would have been involved with all fighting scores back then (from memory) so the rules may have been different at the time of the score's acceptance.

Are you on my radar?
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
    Thanks jjt_defender thanked this post
    Likes jjt_defender liked this post
  4. VERIFIED COMMISSIONER Credibility: 8,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    This is interesting and may affect multiple scores. @Barthax are you able to give us any more detail on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    Just to throw another anomaly in there: the rules have been written in Kelly Flewin's style and Kelly wasn't a referee until after this score was achieved. The Morrow brothers would have been involved with all fighting scores back then (from memory) so the rules may have been different at the time of the score's acceptance.
  5. VERIFIED Honored Veteran Credibility: 27,295

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: barthax
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    48 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksett View Post
    This is interesting and may affect multiple scores. @Barthax are you able to give us any more detail on this?
    The appearance of "Special Rules" was something Kelly Flewin would always use when creating rules. Prior to Kelly "Special Rules" did not happen - they were just rules written (there was nothing "special" about "Special Rules" - they were just rules at the end of the day!). Kelly established a lot tracks and this format was adopted by other referees after Kelly too.

Kelly joined staff in 2003 I think (RTM might remember more precisely) and this score predates that. So the written style of the rules suggests that the the rules were altered after this score was accepted. It doesn't help resolve the validity but it is an anomaly that needs documenting, IMO.

Are you on my radar?
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
    Thanks Dave Hawksett, jjt_defender thanked this post
  6. VERIFIED COMMISSIONER Credibility: 8,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    This is a great discussion.
    @Fly posted The scores on Capcom fighters with points in the 1's and 10's digits ARE possible WITHOUT continues. It could represent how many other players joined in during the course of the game, not just continues. So either way, these are from either continues or other people joining in.

We would like to see more information on the above. The rules state 'Join-In: On' so it is theoretically possible that it was done without continues. It would be great if some more experts could advise on this.
  7. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,362
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksett View Post
    This is a great discussion.
    @Fly posted The scores on Capcom fighters with points in the 1's and 10's digits ARE possible WITHOUT continues. It could represent how many other players joined in during the course of the game, not just continues. So either way, these are from either continues or other people joining in.

We would like to see more information on the above. The rules state 'Join-In: On' so it is theoretically possible that it was done without continues. It would be great if some more experts could advise on this.
    If Buy-Ins are allowed couldn't you just keep having people buy-in and give yourself an "infinite" score through easy opponents?

To me it is stating that Buy-Ins are the typical DIP settings and not something to be actually used for a WR run.
    Thanks Dave Hawksett, HAN, jjt_defender thanked this post
    Likes Snowflake, jjt_defender liked this post
  8. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,362
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    OK so I tested the 981023 US rom in MAME .188.

I confirmed that when someone buys in the main score stops and you are immediately put into a side match with the new player 2. After the win you go back to the stage you were on and face the same stage, with different opponents, and have gained 1 point.

You do not lose any points from the previous AI match. So you could get as points as you wanted on a easy early stage, buy in player 2, and then restart the earlier stage with all your points intact.

You could also obviously abuse this by having player 2 Buy-In if you were about to lose a match.

I stand by Rejecting this score based on these two situations not being in the spirit of trying to accomplish a WR.
    Likes HAN, EVN, jjt_defender liked this post
  9. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,238
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    View Channel: yesaffinity
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    61 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    So, just to be clear, when there has been a mid-performance 2-player match, if the person accumulating points wins the match, they are awarded 1 point from the 2-player match? They are not awarded normal point awards during that 2-player match, just a single point?

What happens if player 2 wins? Do they then proceed with 000001 points?
    Matthew 21:22

Street Fighter (15th) Anniversary Collection: Hyper Street Fighter II World Champion (PS2)

My current collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKzvF3dRPsw
  10. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,362
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by YesAffinity View Post
    So, just to be clear, when there has been a mid-performance 2-player match, if the person accumulating points wins the match, they are awarded 1 point from the 2-player match? They are not awarded normal point awards during that 2-player match, just a single point?

What happens if player 2 wins? Do they then proceed with 000001 points?
    Say they are in the middle of their first match with the AI. They earn 10,300 points and then someone buys-in with player 2.
    Player 1 beats player 2, they then restart their match with the AI and they are now at 10,301 points.

If Player 2 wins they would start the game with a score of 1.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Join us