Suggested Emulators

1. Post Suggested Emulators

11-15-2016, 07:11 AM
    Hi all. I can't see this question posted anywhere else just yet, so wanted to ask what the suggested emulators are to use on a particular system? Seeing as there is a new wave of emulation tracks becoming available now I thought it might be good to have a page/thread/whatever where it lists the emulators that people prefer, what is accepted, what isn't accepted, links to guides on how to use them etc.

This all comes about because I see that NES emulated tracks are now being accepted and I'd like to submit some, but there is no discussion that I can see as to which emulator to use and what needs to be recorded/submitted for valid approval.

I've submitted a few ZX Spectrum emulation tracks so far and that's thanks to this guide that Barthax wrote a couple of years ago...
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/content....issions-legacy

It would be good to get some central place where this information could be collated and discussed.

So what are your opinions?

PS. I've been using FCEUX 2.2.3 to play NES games. Can anyone suggest a reason why this wouldn't be acceptable?
    “Being human totally sucks most of the time. Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.”
  2. 11-15-2016, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloister View Post
    Hi all. I can't see this question posted anywhere else just yet, so wanted to ask what the suggested emulators are to use on a particular system? Seeing as there is a new wave of emulation tracks becoming available now I thought it might be good to have a page/thread/whatever where it lists the emulators that people prefer, what is accepted, what isn't accepted, links to guides on how to use them etc.

This all comes about because I see that NES emulated tracks are now being accepted and I'd like to submit some, but there is no discussion that I can see as to which emulator to use and what needs to be recorded/submitted for valid approval.

I've submitted a few ZX Spectrum emulation tracks so far and that's thanks to this guide that Barthax wrote a couple of years ago...
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/content....issions-legacy

It would be good to get some central place where this information could be collated and discussed.

So what are your opinions?

PS. I've been using FCEUX 2.2.3 to play NES games. Can anyone suggest a reason why this wouldn't be acceptable?
    I've been setting up some NES EMU tracks and look forward to people submitting scores. This is the new TG and I don't think there ever will be a defined set of rules on what's acceptable for any platform. You just need to provide as much evidence as you think is necessary to get your score approved. I was able to get a NES EMU score approved here https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/163430 and I can tell you what I did. I used Nestopia because it's a respected emulator. I showed which rom I used and I showed that no cheats were used both at the beginning and the end of the video. I also had the FPS showing so that adjudicators could see that there was no slow down when playing. I'm just learning about NES emulation and am not familiar with the emulator you are using. Hopefully someone else can chime in as to if they think it would be acceptable.

I've taken a little break from setting up new tracks for NES emulation. Is there a game you want to submit a score for that hasn't been set up? If you do, I'd be more than happy to set it for you.

Regarding other emulators. You've already covered ZX Spectrum. Vice seems to be the one to use for C64 and Stella for Atari 2600.
    "Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good"

Visit my YouTube channel for videos of over 150 classic arcade games, most of which you won't see at your local arcade. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4...56xV5To9gPqsLA
    Thanks Cloister thanked this post
    Likes creech liked this post
  3. 11-15-2016, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloister View Post
    For FCEUX make sure you capture your entire desktop and show the emulator in Windows mode only. Here's the guidelines I've developed (targeted at myself!) for FCEUX during the recent Nintendo tournament:

* Use version 2.2.0.
    * Must play Windowed - cheats & playbacks can be hidden if footage is full screen-only.
    * Show the Cheats menu option is empty.
    * Enable the Display Counter: Config > Display > FPS (shows a tick when enabled).
    * Game Genie off: Config > Game Genie (shows a tick when enabled).
    * PAL Emulation off: Config > PAL Emulation (shows a tick when enabled).
    * Show the Turbo input options are disabled: Config > Input, Configure > Turbo A and Turbo B.
    * Optionally Display the Inputs: Config > Display > Input Display.

Note that there's no reason I can think of that 2.2.3 wouldn't be applicable either. Otherwise, everything as outlined by DBC above and that I've used SNES9X for SNES emulation submissions so far. MESS is generally considered worthwhile too.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
    Thanks creech, Cloister thanked this post
    Likes creech, spectre liked this post
  4. 11-16-2016, 02:23 AM
    These are two great replies. Thanks guys.
    “Being human totally sucks most of the time. Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.”
  5. 01-19-2017, 10:04 AM
    I've used JNES for years, you can show clearly that the cheats are off, and I'm sure you can display the FPS, tho I never have.
    The problem I'm running into, is when played windowed, JNES displays a very square screen, as opposed to the horizontally oriented rectangle the games are intended to be played in.
    I play the game(Burgertime, BTW...)on real NES, is fine. I play it on EMU fullscreen, is fine.
    But when trying to play in a square window, the game is basically broken, is too distorted to play properly.
    Does FCEUX(or any other accepted NES emu)have the same display type, or can it/they be set to display correctly?

Is a shame that there isn't an .inp system for other emus, is reasonably definitive proof.
    Thanks for any help!
    So they say
    Dance for me, dance for me, dance for me, oh, oh, oh
  6. 02-03-2017, 11:17 AM
    Some referree can activate my account , my user name is saulonpb2 and my email is saulonpb@yahoo.com.br
Join us