NES / FAMICOM / DISK - Smash T.V. - NTSC - Points - 2-Player Team - 6,548,805 - Steven Lynn

Is this Performance Claim Valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. NES / FAMICOM / DISK - Smash T.V. - NTSC - Points - 2-Player Team - 6,548,805 - Steven Lynn

11-25-2021, 06:39 AM
    vzaar-player

NTSC - Points - 2-Player Team
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=131799
    Rank
    Rules
    2 Players Only [No Codes or Continues Allowed!]Special Rules: You may freely choose between using 1 or 2 controllers for Movement/Firing.Please be aware that usage of a NES Satelite or Four-Score is required for the 2-controller option.Official score will be the combined total of both scores.
    Submission Message
    Cart and hard power are shown at the beginning.

Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 11-25-2021, 07:11 PM
    Man, this was such a fun game. Haven't played it in 30yrs I bet. So this is kind of stupid, but upon your partners death and when the "Game Over" sign pops up, your score at the time is 3,528,810. You gained a few points when you set your controller down and the enemies were dying on your respawn. I believe you used the end game display for your score along with his. I have a final score upon his death at 6,543,785. I'll see what others think, but I would vote no (shamefully).
  3. 11-26-2021, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegamer1185 View Post
    Man, this was such a fun game. Haven't played it in 30yrs I bet. So this is kind of stupid, but upon your partners death and when the "Game Over" sign pops up, your score at the time is 3,528,810. You gained a few points when you set your controller down and the enemies were dying on your respawn. I believe you used the end game display for your score along with his. I have a final score upon his death at 6,543,785. I'll see what others think, but I would vote no (shamefully).
    The rules about how 2-player scores are calculated on the NES are pretty much nonexistent. There are basically two schools of thought.

Method 1: Once one of the two players loses all of their lives and would have to continue, the scoring stops and you combine the two scores. "All of their lives" can refer to a TGTS 5 life maximum or simply getting a game over.

Method 2: Both players play until both players have exhausted all of their lives allotted, then the total score is calculated.

I can cite cases where both methods have been used on NES games, even on very recent scoring approvals. In the case of this particular track, nothing in the track rule states that one of the players cannot keep playing after one of the players gets a game over. I think most people believe that one player shouldn't be carrying the other player for some reason but I personally do not find much merit in this way of thinking. Furthermore, I believe method 1 was instituted to prevent the second player from simply dying off very early on or a single-player allowing the second player to die off without controlling it at all. These two ways of thinking come from an arcade perspective in my opinion.

The amount of points I gained after the second player lost his last life is 5,020 (based on your calculation). This is 5,020 points of over 6.5 million scored. This accounts for 0.07% of the points scored.

I respect your opinion to vote no if you choose to do that. I would encourage you to change your mind to vote yes or at the very least refrain from voting because this run does not violate any stated track rules I'm aware of. I am open to hearing anyone else's opinions or evidence.
    Likes thegamer1185, JJT_Defender liked this post
  4. 11-26-2021, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by EightBitSteve View Post
    The rules about how 2-player scores are calculated on the NES are pretty much nonexistent. There are basically two schools of thought.

Method 1: Once one of the two players loses all of their lives and would have to continue, the scoring stops and you combine the two scores. "All of their lives" can refer to a TGTS 5 life maximum or simply getting a game over.

Method 2: Both players play until both players have exhausted all of their lives allotted, then the total score is calculated.

I can cite cases where both methods have been used on NES games, even on very recent scoring approvals. In the case of this particular track, nothing in the track rule states that one of the players cannot keep playing after one of the players gets a game over. I think most people believe that one player shouldn't be carrying the other player for some reason but I personally do not find much merit in this way of thinking. Furthermore, I believe method 1 was instituted to prevent the second player from simply dying off very early on or a single-player allowing the second player to die off without controlling it at all. These two ways of thinking come from an arcade perspective in my opinion.

The amount of points I gained after the second player lost his last life is 5,020 (based on your calculation). This is 5,020 points of over 6.5 million scored. This accounts for 0.07% of the points scored.

I respect your opinion to vote no if you choose to do that. I would encourage you to change your mind to vote yes or at the very least refrain from voting because this run does not violate any stated track rules I'm aware of. I am open to hearing anyone else's opinions or evidence.
    Yeah, I haven't actually voted on it yet, but that is how I would do 2P games. The 2P rules are inconsistent as hell. I read through all the 2p threads last night, and a few people are saying that the before times used to let people continue play after someone had a game over. So with that being said, I am all for voting yes on this. I'm all for the submitter. It will be a massive debate, but getting an actual ruling on how TGSAP should do it would be great.
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  5. 11-26-2021, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegamer1185 View Post
    Yeah, I haven't actually voted on it yet, but that is how I would do 2P games. The 2P rules are inconsistent as hell. I read through all the 2p threads last night, and a few people are saying that the before times used to let people continue play after someone had a game over. So with that being said, I am all for voting yes on this. I'm all for the submitter. It will be a massive debate, but getting an actual ruling on how TGSAP should do it would be great.
    I think as long as there are actually two players present, and both players are playing for a vast majority of the game, the rest is all semantics. Just my thoughts though.
    Likes thegamer1185 liked this post
  6. 12-19-2021, 02:37 PM
    Bumping for votes.
  7. 12-20-2021, 10:21 AM
    Start :43
    Final
    Name:  image.png
Views: 70
Size:  7.0 KB
Views: 69
Size:  571.5 KB
Views: 72
Size:  306.5 KB
Size:  324.7 KB
Views: 69
Size:  277.5 KB
    JJT_Defender
    Honored Veteran
    Credibility:30761
    Submission points: 27796
Size:  577.5 KB
Views: 74
Size:  581.5 KB
    JJTJohnnyLightning World #1 Racer on Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 1,872 Match Wins 52Cities
  8. 12-20-2021, 10:29 AM
    A Wr
Views: 73
Size:  196.0 KB
    JJTJohnnyLightning World #1 Racer on Arcade Game Fast & Furious Super Cars 1,872 Match Wins 52Cities
  9. 01-01-2022, 06:15 AM
    It seems like my 2 player submissions have been sitting in the queue for a while. If the only reason people are not voting yes, or abstaining from voting is from a rule clarification about when the scoring stops, I would prefer everyone just vote no and I will reupload them with adjusted scores.

I am all about strictly sticking to a rule without exceptions. In this case, though there is no rule and both methods have been approved using TGSAP as recently as 2021. That's why I find it a bit frustrating. We are also talking about such a minuscule amount of points compared to the total score.

Can we get some feedback from people about why they are not voting yes so we can clear all these 2-player scores off the queue?
  10. 01-01-2022, 08:58 AM
    Your all good. These scores are acceptable. Once the scores get pushed back in the queue people don't seem to vote back that far. They will pass.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Join us